Dia de Muertos
San Miguel de Allende's extended trip option Oct. 30-Nov.3
Join us for a 4-day extended trip to experience the "Day of the Dead" in Mexico
We will be staying on for 4 nights, Oct 30, 31, Nov 1, and Nov 2, in Casa Contenta - a traditional country-style house with 7 bedrooms, 7.5 baths, and wonderful indoor and outdoor spaces.
An Abuela (grandmother) decorating her relatives tomb for the Day of the Dead, with the traditional cempazuchitl flowers
Traditional Pan de Muertos (bread of the dead) and of course, some traditional hot chocolate in a taza de olla (clay cup)
Lodging in Casa Contenta
We have room for 12 people in double rooms, all of which are lovely. Cost is $145 per night per person (double occupancy) for most rooms, $155 per night per person for the Girasol suite. Pricing includes the 30% local taxes, and is extremely reasonable for San Miguel de Allende, especially on this high holiday when rooms are running $700 (!!!!) a night. If you prefer a private room to yourself, let me know ASAP.
- The schedule for the extension is completely open to allow whatever exploration you prefer.
- While we will no doubt do many activities as a group, they are completely optional, and you will have plenty of time on your own to relax and explore.
- Meals are not included, to allow us to explore the many restaurant options, or cook at home (there are 2 full kitchens). There is a lovely coffee shop/cafe right next to Casa Contenta that is highly recommended.
- The main Dia de los Muertos activities are Nov 1 and 2, centered in the “Jardin” in San Miguel which is a 10 minute walk from Casa Contenta. It will be very fun to enjoy these as a group. To help us get the most out of Day of the Dead, I am setting up classes for face-painting, crafts, a talk on the holiday itself, cemetery tour (I hear this is the best…) etc. We may also have access to art and mindfulness classes.
- To allow time in town, we are not scheduling dance classes during the extension. We will no doubt offer pop-up dances and classes whenever we have the opportunity.